March 24, 2013

Upcoming Daylong: Death and Dying Daylong on Saturday May 18 from 9-5 pm at Buena Vista United Methodist Church


Hello Everyone,

Hope you are all enjoying these sunny days.

I want you to know about the daylong workshop I am doing with Baruch on May 18. (I am letting you know now because I hope to be able to go on an 8 day silent retreat starting this Saturday and so won't be back in time to give you all time to do some prep work for this special daylong. I also won't be back teaching at the sangha until May 5th, Sunday. Remember we meet at Island Yoga May 5, our regular time 7-9 pm, because the church needs the space for its Spring Bazaar on this day.) They will not be able to be out of the sanctuary in time for us to meet at our regularly scheduled time of 7-9 pm.

If you are planning to come to the daylong which promises to be very deepening and insightful, difficult at times, but definitely worth the efforts in applying, please begin to reflect on the 5 Reflections daily, of the Buddha:

1) I am subject to aging. Aging is unavoidable.
2) I am subject to illness. Illness is unavoidable.
3) I am subject to death. Death is unavoidable.
4) I will grow different, separate from all that is dear and appealing to me.
5) I am the owner of my actions, heir to my actions, born of my actions, related through my actions and live dependent on my actions. Whatever I do, for good or for ill, to that will I fall heir.

Then, for the especially arduous and dedicated, extra reading preparation are:

1) Tricycle magazine Winter 2012: this is an issue with a dedicated section on Facing Death: What Buddhists Need to Know I acquired my copy through purchasing this back issue for $10. On their website, contact or call their customer service for instruction.

2) Search for Gil Fronsdal's PDF article, entitled, "Notes on a Theravada Approach to Spiritual Care to the Dying and the Dead"

It is imperative that our society begin to look at death square in the face and be able to converse amongst each other (even in "polite" company) about issues of dying and death planning. We need to move away from sweeping it under the rug, or having fast and "clean" funerals to quickly move our dead along, which really doesn't give those left behind a chance to fully grieve and participate in the transition time of death to whatever comes next in a peaceful, caring, complete and loving way. Death experienced with ourselves and/or loved ones is not something to be quickly gotten over, but rather an event to be lived, just as we live and celebrate births, weddings and graduations.


It has become more and more possible to choose the way in which we would like to die and to die at home and not in an institution hooked up to machines. The Tricyle magazine gives many resources to bypass the "system" and death industry that tries to artificially "prettify" the body when anyone who has ever experienced seeing someone dead, knows full well that this is just a body left behind and not the person.

Hoping that you all will have the courage and curiosity to join Baruch and I for this special day. You can register online here.

with love, gratitude and metta, Pauletta

No comments:

Post a Comment