July 2, 2012

Equanimity Practice for the Week

Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for coming last night and exploring Equanimity practice with me. Here are your goodies to think about for the week:

"Equanimity is a perfect, unshakable balance of mind, rooted in insight. But in its perfection and unshakable nature, equanimity is not dull, heartless and frigid. Its perfection is not due to an emotional "emptiness," but to a "fullness" of understanding, to its being complete in itself. Its unshakable nature is not the immovability of a dead, cold stone, but the manifestation of the highest strength."  Nyanaponika Thera, "Vision of Dhamma" pp. 193-196

Traditional Sequence of Formal Equanimity Practice
Neutral person
Benefactor
Dear Friend
Difficult Person
Self
All Beings

Other Phrases for Equanimity Practice

You are the owner of your karma. Your happiness and unhappiness depend on your actions, not so much on my wishes for you. (I used this towards my daughter in Louisiana for the story I told last night)

May I accept things just as they are.
May I be undisturbed by the coming and going of events.
I will care for you but cannot keep you from suffering.(I used this towards my mom when I used to believe that I was responsible for her happiness in her life and needed to fix things for her accordingly)

All things arise and pass away.
No matter how I might wish things to be otherwise, things are as they are. (to counteract the craving, clinging of the far enemy of Equanimity)

Contemplate the question: "What's difficult for me to accept?"

Work with the 6 Sense Spheres to sharpen mindfulness which will lead to clarity and wisdom for how our reactive tendencies kick in so quickly, creating the spaciousness that is needed to rest and come back to the balance of Equanimity.
So first note, hearing, seeing, smelling tasting touching thinking which can be one, or more of these 6 senses coming into contact with whatever it is in our present moment. Then quickly note pleasant, unpleasant or neutral. Feel this in the body, see what emotions may be coming up in the heart and mind. Note whether you still quickly resort to a conditioned reactivity in this moment or not whether it's pleasant or unpleasant.

Don't hesitate to email with any questions, with metta,



Pauletta

No comments:

Post a Comment