March 26, 2012

Practice for the Week: the 4 Brahmaviharas

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for coming last night. I'm glad you all found the talk very beneficial. It should be up on the website in a few days.

For this week, last night I suggested a simple but potentially very transforming practice to try this week. When I talked about Upekkha, or Equanimity, I mentioned that, life in general is filled with the extremes of pain and pleasure from any one moment to the next. We can be feeling very balanced, clear and stable at any one moment in our daily life and then all of a sudden we read a disturbing email and it changes our mood completely. So the practice this week is to set aside a period of time, i.e. the next 2 hours of one day in order to be mindful and notice these extremes of pain and pleasure in one's experience.

Then, the key here is to notice how you respond to the change from pain to pleasure or vice versa. Reflect on this response whether or not it was wholesome or skillful and think about it in terms of cultivating Equanimity, particularly the piece about acceptance and letting go.

Reminders and Forgotten Announcement:

1) Next month, Dina will be offering yoga practice on April 22nd instead of on the last Sunday in April.

2) Don't forget to pick up a postcard about the daylong in June with Anthony and the 5 day workshop at the church starting in May.

3) See Sue Baizerman or one of us to buy a chicken teriyaki dinner at the church for their festival May 6 and consider sitting and being part of the Alameda Sangha table while you eat and enjoy the entertainment so that you can let all who are curious about us know what we do.

4) Remember that we will be meeting for Alameda Sangha on May 6 only from 7-9 pm at Island Yoga instead of at the church that night because the festival will not have been cleaned up for us to meet at the church. Details on location on the website, thanks to our web person extraordinaire, Sue Haumeder.

5) My forgotten announcement was to let you all know that I have been accepted into the Zen Hospice Project Program in San Francisco. The 10 day intense training meets on at least two Sundays at the Laguna Honda Hospital in San Francisco until 6 pm, so I wouldn't be able to get back in time to teach. I will also be away on silent retreat mid-April. So, I won't see you all again until May 20 when I will begin with Metta as the first in a series of the 4 Brahmaviharas. That week, I will remind you all to listen to my talk that I gave last night as a refresher on the Intro and interrelationship of all 4 of them so that we can then move seamlessly into the Metta teaching on May 20.

I will miss you all but hope to perhaps see you on May 6 at the festival if my granddaughter permits!!! Haha!



with metta and gratitude for your practice, Pauletta

No comments:

Post a Comment